Wraps are one of those foods that EVERYONE who wants to prepare healthy meals at home should learn/know how to make. They are quick to make (this recipe takes just 30 minutes, roughly), they super-flexible (if you need to empty out the pantry), they’re almost impossible to mess up, and they’re ALWAYS tasty. In this vegan tofu wraps recipe, we use tofu, onion, spinach, lettuce and red peppers as the main ingredients for nutritional value, and then give it texture and flavor with other ingredients.
Why you’ll love this vegan tofu wraps recipe:
- As I said, the perfect thing about these wraps (and all wraps, really) is that they are super flexible. There’s no ingredient listed below that is an absolute must. Hating, or not having, one ingredient won’t ruin this recipe for you – just leave it out! Or, better yet, substitute it with one of your favorites. I encourage you to tailor this recipe to YOU. Especially, if you’re newer to cooking and/or are trying out new recipes. If you’re looking for a hint… cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and corn are great options to add to this recipe.
- It’s quick and easy. At most, this recipe will take about 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients and then another 10 minutes of cook time.
- It’s a good option for meal prepping! These ingredients scale up easily which allows you to make a large batch of the mixture at once. If you use this recipe to meal prep, I would recommend placing the mixture in an airtight container and refrigerating it. Then, prepare your wraps each morning (it should only take about 3 minutes). If you prepare the wraps and refrigerate them, they are likely to become soggy over any extended amount of time.
How to make these tofu wraps perfect:
- Use extra-firm tofu: Extra-firm tofu will hold its shape, slice easily, and hold up through cooking. Other tofu’s will likely to crumble while cooking (although some firm tofu’s may hold up, depending on the brand).
- It’s better to underfill than overfill: When it comes to wraps, nothing stinks worse than overfilling the wrap, having the ingredients fall out all over, and then eating the ingredients off a plate – that kind of defeats the purpose of a wrap, you know? If you’re new to making wraps, it may take a time or two to find the sweet-spot of how much filling to put in and how to flawlessly fill the tortilla to get that perfect wrap.
- Warm up your wraps: Let’s face it, warm tortillas are just better. Any time you’re using a tortilla for a wrap, burrito, taco, etc… I would recommend putting it in the microwave for 10-30 seconds to warm it up a bit. Wrapping it in a damp paper towel while microwaving will give the tortilla a bit of moisture too!
Other vegan recipes you may enjoy:
Veggie tacos recipe: This flexible taco recipe is not only versatile, its also packed with nutrients and flavor.
Panini recipe: A quick, easy panini recipe that’s perfect for quick lunch option.
Zucchini pizza bars recipe: Are you a pizza lover? This zucchini pizza is a must-try!
Oyster mushroom recipe: Oyster mushrooms have a meat-like texture and are perfect to cook with. Oh, and they’re also delicious.
Vegan Tofu Wraps Recipe
- 1 cup tofu, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tortillas
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- roasted red peppers, if desired
- a handful of olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 serving spicy avocado sauce
- Remove as much liquid as possible by pressing the tofu. Then slice the tofu thinly and add it to a large non-stick or sprayed pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook on medium high heat for approximately 7-8 minutes, stirring periodically until the tofu is golden-brown.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, spices and 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are sauteed.
- Add tomato paste and combine for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Create the wraps by placing the spinach, lettuce and the tofu mixture down first. Then add cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and the spicy avocado sauce.
- Wrap it up, slice down the middle and serve.