If you consumed eggs prior to your journey on a plant-based diet, then prepare yourself for a recipe that will take you back in time. This vegan tofu scramble recipe is the closest recipe I’ve had to that old scrambled egg breakfast I grew up on. In terms of texture, it’s spot on. And in terms of flavor – well, I wonder why my mom was holding out on me growing up. The blend of paprika, turmeric, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and onion powder packs a flavorful punch you’re sure to love.
Why you’ll love this vegan tofu scramble recipe:
- This recipe is super-eggy, without the eggs! While it definitely doesn’t taste just like scramble eggs, the texture will be very similar. If you’re like me, you’ll probably find this recipe an upgrade to scrambled eggs as, in my opinion, they’re much more flavorful.
- This tofu scramble is very high in protein content at roughly 20 grams per serving, while being a low-calorie breakfast option at just over 200 calories per serving. High protein, low calories make this a great recipe for those looking to lose weight.
- This scramble can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days – making it perfect for meal preppers.
How to make this tofu scramble perfect:
- Don’t overcook it: When combining these ingredients in the skillet, be sure you don’t overcook it. Overcooking it will cause your scramble to dry out and ruin the soft consistency that you want.
- Serve it hot: This tofu scramble is meant to be served while hot. You’ll definitely want to either eat it fresh off the skillet or reheat it in the microwave if you’re using this recipe for meal prepping.
- Pair it up: This is a great recipe to pair with hash browns or toast. Might I recommend avocado toast or blueberry French toast to pair with this scramble?
Other vegan recipes you may enjoy:
Chickpea scramble recipe: If you’re set on a scramble for breakfast, you may want to check out this chickpea scramble!
Banana bread recipe: There’s something about baking banana bread that sends a joyful scent through the entire house. Not to mention that it tastes amazing too!
Banana oat pancakes: Is there a more wholesome breakfast than a fresh stack of pancakes covered in strawberries and maple syrup?
Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 8 oz extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- In a bowl, mash the tofu using a fork.
- In a second bowl, combine the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, sea salt, onion powder and soy milk.
- Coat a skillet with vegan butter over low-medium heat. Add the tofu to the skillet and cook until lightly brown, stirring as needed.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and mix until all sauce is absorbed.
- Remove the tofu and serve.