I honestly don’t know if I find hash browns to be a weird food or just a really good, versatile food. There’s never been a time in my life where I was like “I NEED HASH BROWNS NOW!” (Which I do with a lot of other foods, by the way). And I’m not really 100% confident if you’re supposed to eat them as a breakfast. Or if they’re meant to be a side dish. I feel like there are a lot of foods that you could pair hash browns with that nobody on earth would second-guess. But what I do know for certain is that when I eat hash browns, I love them. I guess hash browns are a food that I don’t know I need until I have it in my mouth. Anyways, this vegan hash browns recipe is my absolute favorite way to make hash browns, and I hope it becomes your favorite way too!
Why you’ll love this vegan hash browns recipe:
- This recipe is so good because for one simple reason: the hash browns it creates are perfectly crispy.
- This recipe makes 6 hash browns, but can easily be scaled up to make 12 or 18. Just double or triple the ingredients if you a planning to feed a large (or very hungry) group.
- These hash browns will stay good in the refrigerator for three to four days. So, they’re perfect if you’re looking to meal prep multiple breakfasts or snacks!
How to make these hash browns perfect:
- Remove excess moisture: Remove moisture from the potatoes after they’re shredded. You can do this by squeezing the potatoes with your hands. This will ensure that you make the crispiest hash browns possible.
- Top them off: Top these hash browns with your choice of sauce. Vegan mayo and ketchup are two solid, albeit somewhat uninspired options. If you’re looking to spice it up, I recommend sriracha!
- Keep ’em warm: If you use this recipe to make more than six hash browns, use your oven to keep the prepared hash browns warm while you cook more. Just place the hash browns on a lined baking sheet in the oven at 200-220°F.
Other vegan recipes you may enjoy:
Overnight oats recipe: If you spend about five minutes whipping up these overnight oats today, you’ll have a healthy breakfast to grab and go tomorrow morning!
Baked oatmeal bars recipe: Because who doesn’t love a tasty, healthy bar for breakfast?
Banana oat muffins recipe: This is a great recipe for meal prepping breakfast because it yields 15 delicious and nutritious muffins.
Vegan Hash Browns Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs potato
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 12 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Peel and shred potatoes. Soak potatoes in a bowl of water for 1 minute then remove from water.
- Chop spring onions.
- Add spring onions, flour, 1 tbsp olive oil, sea salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper to the bowl and combine.
- Roll the mixture into even sized balls and place them on a lined baking sheet, then press the balls to flatten.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over low-medium heat. Add hash browns to the skillet and fry until golden. Approximately 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the hash browns and serve.