This vegan chickpea omelet recipe taste somewhat similar to an egg omelet despite (of course) not having any eggs! The egg-like flavor comes from the chickpea flour. Each omelet consists of about 11 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber – making this a very healthy breakfast to kick start your day. You can boost the nutritional value of this chickpea omelet by adding the veggies of your choice. As long as you cook the chickpea flour thoroughly, you cannot go wrong with this recipe!
Why you’ll love this vegan chickpea omelet recipe:
- Chickpea flour is the main ingredient in this recipe, and when hydrated and cooked, it creates an egg-like flavor. Most major grocery stores will carry chickpea flour (it may be labeled garbanzo bean flour), typically in the organic and/or gluten-free areas. You can also blend dry chickpeas into a fine powder.
- These omelets can be refrigerated for up to five days. If you refrigerate them, I would recommend reheating them on a skillet for about two minutes on both sides over medium-high heat.
- This recipe makes one chickpea omelet, but can easily be scaled up – just double, triple or quadruple the ingredients as needed.
How to make this chickpea omelet perfect:
- Use veggies of your choice: This recipe is perfect for any veggies. Some great choices are mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini and spinach. And if you’re looking to ramp it up even more, toss in some vegan-friendly cheese!
- Use an iron skillet: A well-used iron skillet is a fantastic weapon to have when making scrambles, as they tend to be somewhat sticky. If you’re vegan, or if cooking on the stovetop is a routine part of your life, I would definitely recommend investing in a good iron skillet!
- Keep the heat on medium: You’ll want to avoid cooking the chickpeas on too high a heat which could cause the omelet to dry out. Cook the omelet over medium heat.
- Make sure it’s cooked: Raw chickpea flour doesn’t taste good – at all. Make sure the omelets are full cooked before you eat them!
Other vegan recipes you may enjoy:
No Bake Granola Bars Recipe: The perfect recipe to have a healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack option in the house.
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes Recipe: Impress your whole family with these delicious cinnamon pancakes!
Blueberry French Toast Recipe: This recipe makes the perfect french toast that’s fancy restaurant quality.
Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding Recipe: Start your day with a healthy dose of chia seeds, containing 20 grams of protein per serving!
Vegan Chickpea Omelet Recipe
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- vegan cheese, as desired
- In a bowl, combine the chickpea flower, nutritional yeast and salt. Then mix in the water.
- Chop the lettuce.
- In a skillet over low-medium heat, heat the lettuce.
- Add the lettuce to the bowl, then stir.
- Coat a skillet with oil over low-medium heat.
- Add the mixture to the skillet. Use a spatula to form a circular omelet. Cook until the omelet is firm, then flip.
- Add vegan cheese and fold the omelet. Allow the omelet to cook until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the omelet and serve.