If there’s one thing I know, it’s that bowls are a meal-planners dream. And this vegan BBQ Tofu Bowls recipe definitely qualifies as a dream – in taste, simplicity and flexibility. It’s a perfect option for lunch or dinner and I think there’s a veeerrryy good chance it becomes a go-to in your meal-prep rotation. So, be sure to give this recipe a shot and just remember… If you don’t like something, change it! Add ingredients that you love, and remove the ingredients that you don’t – and you’ll end up with the perfect bowl, every time.
What you’ll love about this BBQ tofu bowls recipe:
- These bowls are created using just six simple ingredients: tofu, BBQ sauce, brown rice, broccoli, pineapple and red onion. This easy, flavor packed bowl is the stuff dreams are made of!
- Remember, this recipe is easily adjustable. If you see an ingredient you don’t like, just swap it out for one of your favorites. Or, if you’re looking to switch it up, replace the BBQ tofu with BBQ chickpeas or marinade tempeh. All three options are great choices that will put a bit more diversity in your kitchen game.
- These BBQ tofu bowls are suitable for oil-free and nut-free diets. The recipe can also be modified to be gluten-free, if desired.
- As with most bowl options, this recipe is great for meal prepping! Just place the recipe into airtight containers and store in the refrigerator. It will stay good for up to four days. The bowls can be eaten cold or reheated as desired.
Helpful hints for this vegan BBQ tofu bowls recipe:
- Choose firm or extra firm tofu: These options definitely work the best. Soft or medium tofu will be a bit too delicate for this recipe.
- Press your tofu for better baking: Pressing your tofu will remove the excess water and it’s easy to do if you have time. Just wrap the block of tofu in a clean dish towel and place heavy object on top of it. Let it sit for about 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Don’t be stingy with the BBQ sauce: Make sure you toss the sliced tofu in BBQ sauce, drizzle additional BBQ sauce on the tofu when it’s halfway done baking, and then drizzle more BBQ sauce on the bowl when it’s done!
Consider other ingredients: Almost all bowls can be modified very easily. A few of my favorite options that blend perfectly with this recipe are diced cucumbers, diced or roasted bell peppers, black beans, chickpeas, roasted sweet potatoes and corn.
Vegan BBQ Tofu Bowls Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Prepare the rice as directed on the package instructions
- Triangle or cube the tofu and combine it with half of the BBQ sauce
- If desired, line a baking sheet or bowl with a tortilla. Spread tofu on a baking bowl or tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the bowl/tray from the oven and push the tofu to one side. Combine the remaining BBQ sauce to the tofu. Add the chopped onion to the other side of the pan and cover with salt and pepper, if desired. Place the bowl/tray into the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the tofu and onions are in the oven, steam the broccoli as directed on the product packaging. If no directions are available, use a bot with a steamer basket. Add water and to the pot and bring the water to a boil. Then add the broccoli. Cover and steam the broccoli for 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare the pineapple. If using canned pineapples, drain the can and chop the pineapples if necessary. If using fresh pineapple, chop into bite sized pieces.
- Onceeverything has finished cooking, divide each mixture into serving bowls or meal prep containers. Add additional BBQ sauce as desired before serving.